Club Overview

Sports Club history

  

The Club's foundation - 24th June 1946 

During the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, clubs were started in Lambourn for cricket, football, tennis, rifle and bowling using a variety of sites and facilities around the village. In 1946 though, the football club suggested a public meeting to discuss the formation of a Sports Club combining all the existing Clubs into one, and starting other sports if members wished.

All the clubs attended and the late Mr J C Wing was elected to conduct the meeting and, as a member or official of all the Lambourn clubs pre-war, was the ideal choice. After some discussion, it was proposed that a Lambourn Sports Club was formed to "promote and encourage all sports and recreation for the enjoyment of its members".

During 1946-47 all the existed clubs joined the Lambourn Sports Club along with some newly formed clubs for billiards and darts. In addition, between the 1950‘s and 1970‘s Lambourn Sports Club also included drama, athletics, table tennis and netball.

The Clubhouse and grounds

The first clubhouse was purchased second hand in September 1946. It was erected on land belonging to Mr E T Bracey which was already being used for sports - the Football Club had been playing there since 1909, the Bowls Club since 1930 and the Tennis Club from 1934. The clubhouse was officially opened by Mr E T Bracey, the Club’s first President, in October 1947. The building served the club well and was used for some 44 years until 1990 when the roof had deteriorated beyond repair.

Initially the Club rented the land from Mr E T Bracey but in 1955 was able to purchase it for £700, thus securing a long-term home for a number of sports in the village of Lambourn. Over the years many improvements have been made - hard tennis courts built, the cricket square graded and seeded, followed by the rest of the field, new fencing and car parking area.

The original wooden clubhouse was augmented over the years from 1960. Funds were always tight and although the Club obtained some grants and borrowed money for the new buildings, it was always the individual contributions of the members, to both fundraising activities and to the building work itself, that enabled progress. First a new hall was built, to this day it is the largest capacity hall in the area, then a lounge bar was added and finally a new Billiards Room replaced the old wooden clubhouse. There are also changing rooms, a committee room and a kitchen.